- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
How Vision Therapy Can Increase Confidence
Trouble with your functional vision can prevent you from being as successful as you would like. Even though you wear glasses or have 20-20 vision, you can still have an underlying vision condition that may have a profound effect on your life. Luckily, vision therapy offers a simple way to boost your self-esteem and reduce headaches, blurred vision and other uncomfortable symptoms.
What is Vision Therapy?
Good vision requires a complex interaction between your brain, your eyes and the muscles that control your eyes. If there's a problem or obstacle at any point in the process, you may experience a variety of symptoms including:
- Fatigue after reading for a short time
- Blurred or double vision
- Eyestrain when reading for a long time or using digital screens
- Difficulty retaining what you've read or trouble paying attention
- Vertigo or motion sickness
- Poor depth perception
- Frequently losing your place when you read
- Irritated eyes
- Poor hand-eye coordination
- Trouble judging distances
- Difficulty driving at night
Vision therapy improves the way your eyes, brain and muscles work together without medications or surgery. During therapy sessions, you'll participate in exercises, activities and games designed to improve and enhance your vision. Prisms, filters, lenses, light boards, balance boards and other aids may also be used. Each vision therapy plan is custom-designed to address your particular vision problems.
How Can Vision Therapy Help Me?
Do you read technical documents, emails and other business communications multiple times yet still have difficulty recalling key points? Your inability to retain the information you read may affect your confidence at work and your ability to progress in your career.
No matter what your qualifications, it can be hard to impress the boss if you can't remember the key points of a report or have difficulty learning new things. Many people assume that there's nothing they can do to improve their reading or retention skills, particularly if they've had lifelong problems. Fortunately, vision therapy is very effective in correcting vision problems that can make you feel less confident at work or school, such as:
- Strabismus. The condition causes the eyes to cross or turn inward. If you have strabismus, you may experience double vision because your eyes have difficulty working together to produce a single image. The condition can also affect your peripheral vision.
- Binocular Vision Issues. Binocular vision problems occur when your eyes don't work well as a team. The condition can cause blurred vision, headaches, eyestrain and motion sickness, and may lead to trouble concentrating when you read.
- Convergence Insufficiency. Convergence insufficiency makes it difficult to see items clearly close up. If you have the condition, you may experience double or blurred vision or notice a halo effect around words. Convergence insufficiency can also cause eyestrain, headaches and concentration difficulties.
- Visual Form Perception Problems. Difficulty recognizing shapes or differences in the size of objects can affect your ability to read or excel at math. People who have visual form perception issues may confuse words and letters, move their heads when they read or use a pen or finger to make sure they don't lose their place when reading.
Can Vision Therapy Improve My Sports Performance?
No matter how old you are, it's no fun to sit on the sidelines and wish you were better at sports. Your eyes affect your athletic ability more than you may realize. Without good functional vision, it's difficult to track fast-moving balls, hit a ball with a golf club or bat, estimate where a ball will land or pay attention to players in your peripheral vision while still focusing on the action in front of you.
Vision therapy can enhance your athletic performance by improving your:
- Hand-Eye Coordination
- Depth Perception
- Ability to Change Focus from Near to Far Objects Quickly
- Ability to Track Objects
- Ability to See Objects in Motion More Clearly
- Visual Memory
Would you like to do a better job at work, school or on the playing field? Vision therapy can provide the boost you need to feel more confident. Call us today to schedule a comprehensive vision examination.
Optometry Times: Vision Therapy: A Top 10 Must-Have List
Vision Care Institute: Be the Best You Can Be
College of Optometrists in Vision Development: